Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Between a Rock and a Meaningful Place

One thing I've noticed about doing these CSR community web development projects is that it especially forces me to deal with personal struggles and challenges. Yet, we can say that for anything we choose to do that means something. It's the nature of a spiritual life, facing and dealing with everything that comes up.

Over the past few months I've needed to ask myself just what am I doing, and why. Yes, the obvious is true, no one is doing this kind of community web development, and in this way. And, every time I mention this project, especially after explaining more of the features and details, no one has said "so and so is doing that."

But, there's been something that's been bugging me, and it's been so much in my face that it's been hard to see. As I go about the work of finding, keeping and posting information for those that have been marginalized and out of the mainstream, I have to notice how often I see the need and want to speak up about those situations. Especially, circumstances that can be avoided easily enough. And, especially when certain organizations or authority figures in the helping community are part of the problem.

So, there is a strong social justice aspect to this project, this work I'm doing, that really clarify's what's been bugging me. When a particular situation is bothering me, is it just a personal thing I need to deal with, or a definite social issue that needs to be addressed. You could say I've been doing a great deal of work if not speaking up, at least seeing things for what they are, and not "drinking the Kool-ade."

I have certainly annoyed people, and sometimes, I'm sure, I've made them pretty mad. Often, if not most of the time I had no interest in having to deal with the circumstance. But, I have committed myself to speaking up when I have the ability, and the interest. To get out of my comfort zone and help make my close community better. Even if I'm made out to be the 'bad guy', the whistle blower, or worse.

I don't want to be referred to as the bad guy. I've had to deal with being marginalized myself, many times in my life. It may seem corny, but I am committed to the truth, and trust that the truth will bring me a good life in the end. I'm still working on it, and waiting.

In regards to this community resource web development project(s), I will continue to bring issues and solutions (as I have them) to the public, for us all to face the truth.  The majority of that work, I believe, is simply seeing that we can do better.  Individually, then collectively.

But, it starts with the individual, from the inside out.  We need to start where we can be most successful.  With ourselves!