Saturday, February 25, 2012

What about Veterans?!

These are some videos that I happened across as I was clicking through my site, www.csrmpls.info, and the employment page.  I found them especially touching today.  Found myself tearing up.  Real courage sometimes happens long past the initial threats, and/or violence.  It's living with the scars, while daring to heal.  Emotional and spiritual healing really is all about choice.  Every day, every moment is about living instead of just surviving.

Or, maybe my tearing up about the fact that my father was a veteran in WWII, as a Marine.  He forged his mothers name at the tender age of 17, and followed his buddies to fight in the war.  He came back, bringing with him a stack of photos that both awed and shocked me.  He also brought back the trappings of one of the Japanese soldiers he killed, including his clothes, rifle, long (historic looking) knife, and other personal items.

My father was set up to be an alcoholic and he never recovered.  Period.  Even though he had long periods of employment, never was homeless, and even owned his own janitorial business.  And, other people paid for that choice to not face his demons.

These stories (videos) were not just interesting, but moving enough for me to stop and post them here.  I hope they're the same for you, and stirs some of you to think more, and do more to better support our veterans.  It's not about quick fixes.  It's about better relationship skills.  Living the fight for a better life, here and now.  Not what one wishes, wants and hopes to be or have.  What can I do right now.

My moto (as taught to me, by my mentor): Life, from the inside out.





















I think the following video is a bit ironic in that Gabrielle Giffords took a bullet in the head while serving her country stateside. Women are tough, no doubt about it!





1 comment: